The radiology technician is considered to be a profession, where the responsibility of the candidate is to use proper and relevant equipment to perform x-ray images on the patients, who are advised by their physicians for further diagnosing purpose. X-ray is generally conducted to detect disease and trauma. People associated with this vocation are called radiographers or x-ray technicians. The job profile of the radio technician involves using various types of equipment like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) equipment, CT scan (computed tomography) and ultrasound equipment. For getting into the profession of a radiology technician, it is important for the candidate to undergo x ray course from a reputed and well established college. The college selected needs to be specialized in this particular course and assure the candidates to come out as full-fledged and well trained professionals. It is necessary for the aspiring candidate to have a valid bachelor’s degree, associate degree or a certificate to get the job and enjoy a great career.
Details of different types of programs to undergo to become a qualified x-ray technician
The right type of course is to be selected which will match the caliber, current expertise and skill of the candidate.
- Radiology Tech Certification Program: Those looking forwards to completing the certification course are to have an educational curriculum that is to include course on diagnosis, medical imaging science, physiology and anatomy, pathology, radio pharmacology, biology, etc. The certification course generally lasts for about 2 years. The students are taught about the following:
- Safety procedures when handling radiology equipment
- Caring patients
- Understand healthcare ethics
- Use scanning and radiology equipment
On successful completion, the candidates can appear for the certification examination.
- Radiology Technology Associate Degree: For applying associate degree, students are required to have high school diploma. Their previous studies are to include subjects such as Science, Math and English. Students on undergoing the associate degree are taught different radiological procedures required in positioning patients to perform diagnostic tests and x-rays. The following topics are covered by the curriculum:
- Clinical radiology
- Knowledge about operation and maintenance of radiologic equipment
- Following safety procedures when handling radiology equipment
- Radiographic positioning
- Being acquainted with the different medical terminologies
Once the course is completed, the students will be able to avail hands-on training to specialize CT or MRI.
- Radiology Tech Bachelor’s Degree: Technicians eager to apply for top management positions can choose bachelor’s degree course. Professional knowledge can be gained on teaching radiology and supervising. High school graduate is necessary for applying for this course and SAT or ACT scores are to be provided. the students become proficient in the given below aspects:
- Financial and business skills
- Leadership skills
- Physiology and anatomy
- Management skills
- Psychology and human development
- Physics and different radiology techniques
Once gradated, the student can apply for positions at clinics and hospitals like radiological technologist trainer, lead radiological technologist and diagnostic imaging director.
Students can also opt for advanced degrees in radiological science to enjoy improvement in their career prospects.